Our fourth podcast is a bit of a curveball, an obscure selection of slinky r’n’b and rugged grooves from Washington DC’s Jay Simon.
The unfiltered crunch of raw house pervades Jay’s style, a Detroit-influenced sound that feels right at home on Kyle Hall’s Wild Oats imprint – who last year released his wonderful edit of Faith Evans’ 90′s number ‘I Remember’. With its rough and rolling beats, ‘Faith’ fast became a highly sought-after slab of wax.
The Washington DJ also oversees a podcast series, Just A Groove, and launched his own imprint in 2012, Must Have Records, drawing on jazz, hip-hop, and house.
Get stuck into this refreshingly uninhibited mixtape: sexy 90s vocals, off-beat soul and stark, deep-as-you-like Detroit grooves.
2. Dazzle – In The Disco [PPU]
4. Cece Peniston – Crazy Love (Kenlou 12″) [A&M]
8. Omar-S – Amalthea [FXHE]
9. Dolo Percussion – Dolo 4 [L.I.E.S.]
11. Philippe Laurent – Et Hop [Fraction Studio]
13. Model 500 – Ocean 2 Ocean [Transmat]
15. Jay Simon – Royal Rumble [Future Times] (forthcoming)